Life After Harry Potter
Life After H P
Home

The Battle for the Prophecy The Battle for the Prophecy

Part 2:  The Other Battle

Page 1

by

James E. Pettis

Introduction

This story occurs during chapter thirty-five, “Beyond the Veil” in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.  Part 1 is the story related in that book.  Part 2, this fanfiction, takes place between the time that Harry and his friends surprise the Death Eaters (by simultaneously setting off Reductor curses) and the time that Ron, Luna and Ginny rejoin Harry, Hermione and Neville.  Quotes from that book will appear in red.  All quotes are from Rowling, J. K.  (2003).  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Second Edition.  New York:  Scholastic Press.  ISBN: 0-439-35806-X. 

HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related indicia are trademarks of and © Warner Bros.  Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J. K. Rowling.  All rights reserved.  All uses of material subject to these copyrights on this site are used without permission.  All material presented here is intended solely for the enjoyment of the reader and is not authorized for copy or resale.  To fully enjoy this story, the reader should be in possession of the book Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J. K. Rowling.

James E. Pettis, February 2008

Escape from the Hall of Prophecy

The Department of Mysteries

Map of the Department of Mysteries

Five curses flew in five different directions and the shelves opposite them exploded as they hit.  The towering structure swayed as a hundred glass spheres burst apart, pearly-white figures unfurled into the air and floated there, their voices echoing from who knew what long-dead past amid the torrent of crashing glass and splintered wood now raining down upon the floor —1

For a moment, Luna was stunned by the amount of devastation they had wreaked,2 and then she heard Harry yell, “RUN!”1  Ron reacted first, grabbing Ginny’s sleeve and sprinting ahead.  Using her arms to protect herself from the falling glass spheres,3 Luna followed close behind.  As they streaked past Harry, she noticed that he had Hermione in tow.4  Ron turned his head halfway and shouted, “Hurry!” but she could barely hear him over the sound of breaking glass, crashing shelves and the yells of those behind.

At the end of the aisle, Ron paused and looked back for a moment.  Ginny was using the opportunity to extricate her sleeve from her brother’s grasp, so Luna turned back to look as well.  She heard someone shout, “Stupefy!” and then Harry, Hermione and Neville all emerged, arms covering their heads, from the expanding cloud that was a combination of debris and ghostlike prophets.  Ron, with a combined look of relief, determination and fear on his face, turned left and resumed his flight, Ginny following, and Luna bringing up the rear.

They reached a closed door.  With his hand ready to push it open, Ron looked back yet again, and Luna saw his mouth open in surprise.  At this, she and Ginny turned to look as well.  What they saw were the backs of Harry, Hermione and Neville as they ran the other way, and a Death Eater in hot pursuit.

“Goblin guts!” whispered Ron, “Where are they going?”

“Out, the way we came in,” replied Ginny quietly, and pointed at a plate on the door:

WARNING
ORRERY ROOM

Ron moaned.  They had come the wrong way! Looking back, it seemed that their friends had escaped.  More Death Eaters were hurtling down the corridor in that direction, but the first appeared unable to pass through the now-closed door there.  Ron said, “No going back, and an Orrery doesn’t sound nearly as scary as a Death Eater.”  Wand raised, he pushed open the door and rushed into the unknown.

 

1 Pg. 787.

2 wreaked — inflicted or executed, as in wreak havoc.

3 sphere — ball; orb.

4 in tow — being towed (i.e. Harry was pulling her in the direction he was going)

 
Home
Fan Fiction Home
Next
Page 2

Page 1

Valid XHTML 1.1! Valid CSS! Page design by

HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related indicia are trademarks of and © Warner Bros.  Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J. K. Rowling.  All rights reserved.  All uses of material subject to these copyrights on this site are used without permission.  All material presented here is intended solely for the enjoyment of the reader and is not authorized for copy or resale.  To fully enjoy this story, the reader should be in possession of the book Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J. K. Rowling.

Any and all copyright priveleges not belonging to the aforementioned, including the entirety of this web site design and content, are Copyright © 2007-2008 by James E. Pettis

About this web site