Life After Harry Potter
Life After H P
Home

Luna Lovegood Luna Lovegood

and the Watch of Doom and the Watch of Doom

Endnotes

Chapter One

by

James E. Pettis

  1. The Roost — in England, it is common for rural houses and farms to have names.  Thus, The Burrow (just “over the hill,” remember).  The rural home of the Lovegoods, like that of the Weasleys, almost certainly has a name.  Considering that the “house” is a tower atop a hill, and considering the mentality of Xenophilius and Luna, I thought The Roost appropriate.
  2. Venus — many of the pureblood family members have names that correspond to stars, constellations and Roman mythology.  Luna is no exception:  her name is Latin for “moon.”  Xenophilius’ name is Greek, suggesting even more ancient roots.  I followed Rowling’s pattern in choosing a name for Luna’s mother.  Venus seemed appropriate from her description:  a beautiful woman, similar in appearance to Luna.  Venus is the brightest object in the sky after the sun and moon, and is the Roman goddess of love and female beauty.
  3. Wrackspurts — In Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince, chapter seven, “The Slug Club,” Luna says:

    “A Wrackspurt . . . They’re invisible.  They float in through your ears and make your brain go fuzzy,” she said.  “I thought I felt one moving around in here.”

    She flapped her hands at thin air, as though beating off large invisible moths.

    Page 248, Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince, copyright © 2005 by J. K. Rowling.  All rights reserved.  Published by Arthur A. Levine Books.  ISBN 0-439-78454-9.
  4. Extinguere — Latin for “Be extinguished!”  Pronounced:  ex · sting · ware · ray
  5. Overview — My intention with the first chapter was to emulate Rowling.  In her first chapter, Harry’s parents are killed and he is left on a doorstep at night to be discovered by “the worst kind of Muggles.”  It was the most significant event of his life until the moment he was accepted into Hogwarts.  I feel that this is the most significant event in Luna’s life, and it will be referred to repeatedly throughout the story.
If you would like a response to your comments or have questions, please e-mail your questions or comments to me at the address email@life-after-harry-potter.com.
 
Previous
Page 84
Next
Chapter 2 Endnotes
Endnotes — Chapter One
Valid XHTML 1.1! Valid CSS! Page design by

HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related indicia are trademarks of and © Warner Bros.  Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J. K. Rowling.  All rights reserved.  All uses of material subject to these copyrights on this site are used without permission.  All material presented here is intended solely for the enjoyment of the reader and is not authorized for copy or resale.  To fully enjoy this story, the reader should be in possession of all of the Harry Potter books by J. K. Rowling, but especially the first two, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

Any and all copyright priveleges not belonging to the aforementioned, including the entirety of this web site design and content, are copyright © 2007-2008 by James E. Pettis This page copyright © 2008 by James E. Pettis

About this web site