Life After Harry Potter
Life After H P
Home

Luna Lovegood Luna Lovegood

and the Watch of Doom and the Watch of Doom

Endnotes

Chapter Two

by

James E. Pettis

  1. Second Floor — In Britain and the rest of Europe, it is customary to call the bottom floor “ground floor,” the floor above that “first floor,” and so on.  Rowling’s U.S. books retain this European convention, and so do I here.
  2. Luna’s Facial Features — are common among European nobility during the Renaissance and afterwards, and is believed by some to be the direct result of rather close inbreeding by the royal families of Europe.  This is an indication of the “inbreeding” that goes on between pureblood families.  I am also suggesting (to the insightful reader) that the Lovegoods might be descended from nobility.
  3. Ancestors of the Lovegoods?PicturePicturePicturePicturePicturePicturePicture
  4. Eurasian Otter Picture.
  5. English Elm Picture.
  6. Song Thrush Picture.
  7. Eurasian Badger Picture.
  8. European Hedgehog — The young are known in some regions of Britain as hedge pig, also a “tip of the hat” to The Sword in the Stone by T. H. White (who has both badgers and hedge pigs in his wonderful story).  Picture.
  9. Painting the Barn — The main reason for this being her next project is that it seems she didn’t get around to painting the ceiling to her own room until after book 5.  She must have been doing something in the meantime, and I really wanted her to have experienced painting (therefore, the kitchen) before arriving at Hogwarts.
  10. Long-eared Owl Picture.
  11. Overview — My intention with the second chapter was to emulate Rowling again.  Here, we have the case of someone who knows about magic and who is being accepted to Hogwarts — quite a let-down, from the start, when compared to the discovery of the existence of magic from the point of view of Harry. 

    Like Harry, I guessed that Luna would be apprised of her acceptance on her eleventh birthday.  It could be that Harry’s birthday just happened to coincide with the delivery of acceptance letters.  In fact, this seems likely considering that letters first started arriving several days before his birthday.  However, it seems unlikely that all new students would be informed so late in the year, when so many would have already made a choice of schools.  Therefore, I suspect that Harry’s notification was sent along with all of the others for “late” birthdays — still very late in the year, but the bulk of the acceptances would already have been issued.  It may even be that Harry’s rogue magic with the glass front of the snake pen is what garnered him his acceptance letter finally, though Hagrid says, “His name’s been down since he was born.”  I automatically assumed that Luna’s birthday would be on April 1, but that bit of information is entirely unimportant to the story as it stands, so I did not state it explicitly. 

    After writing the chapter initially, I decided that it wasn’t “loony” enough.  There had to be some Luna-esque humor, especially when both Lovegoods are present in the same room.  Less than a day before posting, the idea of a “how to detect a doppelgänger” article came to me.  As I wrote it, I found it necessary and natural to include Moody and Tonks in the story.  Moody’s paranoia makes him a natural for such a topic, and I suspect that he and Xenophilius are great friends.  I have little doubt that Moody is a frequent contributor of quotes to that paragon of conspiracy theories, The Quibbler.  Tonks naturally inserts herself whenever human shape changing comes to mind.  I was delighted by the results, as Moody and Tonks are tied for second place in my list of favorite characters.  It’s great that they wrote themselves into the story, preventing me from having to manufacture some excuse for including them.  I doubt that we’ll see Tonks again in this story, but I am very hopeful that Moody will make a personal appearance.

If you would like a response to your comments or have questions, please e-mail your questions or comments to me at the address email@life-after-harry-potter.com.
 
Previous
Chapter 1 Endnotes
Next
Chapter 3 Endnotes
Endnotes — Chapter Two
Valid XHTML 1.1! Valid CSS! Page design by

HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related indicia are trademarks of and © Warner Bros.  Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J. K. Rowling.  All rights reserved.  All uses of material subject to these copyrights on this site are used without permission.  All material presented here is intended solely for the enjoyment of the reader and is not authorized for copy or resale.  To fully enjoy this story, the reader should be in possession of all of the Harry Potter books by J. K. Rowling, but especially the first two, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

Any and all copyright priveleges not belonging to the aforementioned, including the entirety of this web site design and content, are copyright © 2007-2008 by James E. Pettis This page copyright © 2008 by James E. Pettis

About this web site