Life After Harry Potter
Life After H P
Home

Luna Lovegood Luna Lovegood

and the Watch of Doom and the Watch of Doom

Endnotes

Chapter Four

by

James E. Pettis

  1. Vega — This comes from an Arabic word meaning “swooping,” describing the constellation this star is in, “swooping vulture.”
  2. The Gap — This is a security feature of the library.  As this library does not allow patrons to remove books, any work which passes beyond the edge into the region of The Gap sets off an alarm and causes the great vault door to close.  Apparating, and even portkeys other than the specially ensorcelled Catalog Amulets, will not operate within the library.  There is no known case of a successful theft from the library, though there have been several attempts.  Offenders receive a short sentence in Azkaban.

    Naughty children occasionally cause a ruckus by tossing a book or scroll into The Gap.  This sets off the alarm and seals everyone in.  The gap has had a permanent “slow descent” spell cast on it so that no work of literature will be harmed by the fall.  There is usually no repeat performance, as library security agents know a spell which causes mistreated books to speak and identify their abuser.

  3. Catalog Amulet — In addition to its other useful functions, the Catalog Amulets act as a special sort of Portkey, though it can only operate as such when used on the landing of one of the library staircases.
  4. Herophile — One of the names of the classic sibyls, or prophetesses, of ancient Greece.  Pronounced hair · oh · fee · lay.
If you would like a response to your comments or have questions, please e-mail your questions or comments to me at the address email@life-after-harry-potter.com.
 
Previous
Chapter 3 Endnotes
Next
Chapter 5 Endnotes
Endnotes — Chapter Four
Valid XHTML 1.1! Valid CSS! Page design by

HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related indicia are trademarks of and © Warner Bros.  Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J. K. Rowling.  All rights reserved.  All uses of material subject to these copyrights on this site are used without permission.  All material presented here is intended solely for the enjoyment of the reader and is not authorized for copy or resale.  To fully enjoy this story, the reader should be in possession of all of the Harry Potter books by J. K. Rowling, but especially the first two, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

Any and all copyright priveleges not belonging to the aforementioned, including the entirety of this web site design and content, are copyright © 2007-2008 by James E. Pettis This page copyright © 2008 by James E. Pettis

About this web site