Life After Harry Potter
Life After H P
Home

Luna Lovegood Luna Lovegood

and the Watch of Doom and the Watch of Doom

Endnotes

Chapter Five

by

James E. Pettis

  1. The Wizarding Floor — My previous chapter title, “Gringotts at the Gherkin,” had to be altered for the simple reason that the London highrise known as the Gherkin was not completed until ten years after this story is supposed to have occurred.  Drat!
  2. NatWest TowerPicture of NatWest Tower (now known as Tower 42).
  3. Corinthian Bronze — The perfect choice, an alloy more precious than gold whose formula is lost to antiquity.  With the fall of Rome the goblins escaped to Britain (and similarly more appreciative and safe outposts in the north) and the art of its manufacture was lost to humanity (assuming they ever possessed it).
  4. Weyland Smith and Flibbertigibbet — are legendary figures in Britain, though they are human in Muggle legends.
  5. Dark Metal — The dark metal is Hepatizon (Black Corinthian Bronze).
  6. “Filia Veneris” — Latin meaning “daughter of Venus” (which means that Luna didn’t lie).
  7. “Otis” Footsore — My apologies to the actual creator of the safety elevator, Elisha Otis, an American.
  8. Disabling the Slashkilter — The careful reader will notice that later Swifty tells them that no goblin knows how to disable an Umgubular Slashkilter.  The commander placed himself between the attacking device and his wounded lieutenant, but from behind the lieutenant was unable to see what the commander did to defeat the device.
  9. Mr. Yurquiddan Gringotts — “your quid and green gots” — “quid” is slang for U.K. money, “green” for U.S. money (because all U.S. paper money is green).
  10. Overview — I thought that my idea for this chapter was completely original.  It turned out, much to my dismay, that the concept had been used before, though unknown to myself.

    I was thinking about unlucky numbers, and how thirteen was probably not the slightest bit unlucky in the wizarding world.  Then I recalled the lack of thirteenth floors (so to speak) in high rise buildings.  Well, why weren’t they there, really?  The obvious answer:  that floor was reserved for Wizard businesses!  I decided that this was by law — the elevator companies, no doubt, are all run by magical creatures of some sort.  Of course, the problem is that very wealthy, perhaps even international corporations must be renting out these expensive floors.  Otherwise, they would just set up in Diagon Alley.

    Considering the Lovegoods, I came up with three pretty solid ideas for occupants.  I won’t mention the other two, as they may yet appear in the story.  My thanks to Y!A users who helped me to become more familiar with the types of businesses likely to be found in skyskrapers.

If you would like a response to your comments or have questions, please e-mail your questions or comments to me at the address email@life-after-harry-potter.com.
 
Previous
Chapter 4 Endnotes
Previous
Chapter 6 Endnotes
Endnotes — Chapter Five
Valid XHTML 1.1! Valid CSS! Page design by

HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related indicia are trademarks of and © Warner Bros.  Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J. K. Rowling.  All rights reserved.  All uses of material subject to these copyrights on this site are used without permission.  All material presented here is intended solely for the enjoyment of the reader and is not authorized for copy or resale.  To fully enjoy this story, the reader should be in possession of all of the Harry Potter books by J. K. Rowling, but especially the first two, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

Any and all copyright priveleges not belonging to the aforementioned, including the entirety of this web site design and content, are copyright © 2007-2008 by James E. Pettis This page copyright © 2008 by James E. Pettis

About this web site